FUEL HANDLING SYSTEM
Main research areas:
- Technologies and equipment for maintenance, repairing and inspections for the Fuel Handling System (FHS):
- Development of technologies, tools and devices for maintenance and repairing in the power plant of SMC components;
- Development of technologies, methods and equipment for on-line monitoring of the installations for predictive maintenance of SMC components;
- Maintaining the competence and the testing facilities for Nuclear Fuel Handling (F/H) Machines, used at Cernavoda NPP.
- Nuclear technologies and equipment tested in the F/H Machine rig:
- Adaption of the F/H Machine rig for other nuclear components testing;
- Design and development of tools, technological devices and equipment to be used in F/H rig for testing nuclear and non-nuclear components;
- Development of technologies and methods for testing nuclear and non-nuclear components on the F/H testing rig.
- Technologies and equipment for FHS simulation:
- Development of methods and technologies to simulate the operation of FHS components, used for training and professional testing of F/H operators;
- Design of equipment for functional simulation of FHS components.
- Studies, analyses and technical solutions for emergency response at FHS:
- Identification of the main emergency cases during FHS operation and the development of technical solutions for intervention.
- Studies, analyses and technical solutions to decrease the effects of the wear mechanism at the FHS:
- Identification of the wear mechanism produced during FHS operation, results assessment and technical solutions development to decrease their occurrence.
Main research results:
- Completing the testing contract for F/H Machine Heads 4, 5 and RAM 7 intended for Unit 2 from Cernavoda NPP;
- Device for removing the F/H snout plug, in case of failure;
- Device for the installation in the fuel channel of the actuating elements of the inspection equipment, through the special channel closing.
- Functional testing of the transfer devices for TRIGA - LEU irradiated failed fuel from the catchment to PIEL or the intermediate storage repository;
- Device for detaching the fuel elements from the irradiated CANDU fuel bundle assembly, for PIEL examination;
- Real time and simultaneous monitoring system for the modules of the 2.1 MW electric heater, which is located in the F/H testing rig;
- Making the experimental model for FHS independent simulator ( in progress);
- Completing the computerized system for training, testing and evaluating the FHS personnel knowledge (in progress);
- Producing the test section for viewing the coolant flow in the sub channel area of the CANDU fuel (in progress).
Contact person: IDT II Nicolae MARINESCU; e-mail: email@example.com