Main research areas:
- Probabilistic safety assessment (Level 1, 2 and 3 PSA, risk monitoring)
- Assimilation, development, performance assessment and documentation of programs and working methodologies used in the probabilistic safety analysis;
- PSA applications in the design, operation and management of nuclear facilities;
- Including external events and the consequences of the components ageing in the PSA analyzes for nuclear facilities in operation;
- Study of nuclear facilities using the analyzers and simulators process;
- Human reliability analysis and of the interaction man - machine - organization for nuclear facilities in operation, for normal and accident/incident operation situations;
- Severe accident analyses using the probabilistic methodologies.
- Deterministic safety analysis for nuclear facilities in exploitation
- Assimilation, development, performance assessment and documentation of programs and working methodologies used in deterministic safety analysis;
- Accident scenarios analysis provided in the Final Safety Report of the CANDU NPP (reactor physics, thermal-hydraulic) using the new computational tools and assimilated methodologies;
- Safety analysis for other nuclear facilities (research reactors, waste treatment facilities, facilities related to transport of nuclear materials, storage etc.) using deterministic methodologies;
- Severe accident analysis using deterministic methodologies;
- Support studies regarding the integrity of structures, equipment and nuclear facilities components, including their ageing
- Experiments simulating the behavior of facilities components in accident conditions;
- Studies on the consequences of extending the facilities' lifetime on nuclear safety;
- Hazard studies for nuclear facilities in exploitation;
- Exploitation the experience of operating nuclear facilities
- Collecting information regarding the design, operating procedures/normal exploitation of interest facilities and emergency/accident ones, as well as information regarding the human-machine-organization interaction;
- Estimating based on the international experience in operating and decommissioning similar facilities, of the issues brought-up by decommissioning interest facilities from Romania.
- Education and training in field of nuclear safety
- Coordinating in partnership with higher technical education institutions, bachelor/master/PhD papers with topics in the field of nuclear safety, internships in research, engaging students in internal or international projects during work placements;
- Organizing thematic visits, conferences, round tables on nuclear safety issues, where (anti-) nuclear NGO representatives will be invited, for promoting a positive attitude towards safety culture;
- Participating in international projects related in areas close to nuclear safety (consequences of the components ageing - APSA).
- Nuclear facilities safety after the Fukushima-Daiichi events
- Study of the implications of the Fukushima - Daiichi accident on the content and the quality of the analyzes of nuclear safety.
Main research results:
- Development computer software packages and qualified methodologies for probabilistic analyses;
- Carrying out probabilistic security analyzes for the authorization/reauthorization and improving the performance in exploitation and increasing nuclear facilities safety (PSA models and studies for the TRIGA reactor and other nuclear facilities);
- Development of computer software packages and qualified methodologies for deterministic safety analyzes (development and documentation of our own computer programs: CP2D, DIREN, LEGENTR; assimilation of computer programs purchased by ICN or supplied by external partners within various agreements/international projects: ASTEC, CATHARE, CATHENA, DRAGON, MCNP, RELAP, RFSP, SCALE, WIMS);
- Carrying out deterministic safety analyzes for the authorization/reauthorization and improving the performance in exploitation and increasing nuclear facilities safety (neutron calculations coupling with thermal -hydraulic; multi-channel modeling of thermo-hydraulic phenomena; modeling and the analysis LOCA accidents for Cernavoda NPP; accidental criticality analysis and biological protection for the transport and intermediate storage of nuclear fuel used);
- Obtaining experimental results useful in the qualification of computer programs and work methodologies;
- Human-machine-organization interaction analysis during nuclear facilities exploitation in normal and accident/incident conditions;
- Estimating the technical, material and human resources needed for decommissioning of the nuclear facilities;
- Coordinating research internships for students in the final study years, co-tutoring license/masters/doctorates and joint research projects in partnerships with technical higher education institutions (development of training and laboratory modules concerning numerical and experimental methods in reactor physics; coordinating research internships and license papers in partnership with the Polytechnic University of Bucharest and the University of Pitesti);
- INR accreditation for education / training activities in the field of nuclear safety;
- Analysis of stress carried out at different nuclear facilities;
- Including external event in the existing analyzes.
Contact: Mirea MLADIN; e-mail: email@example.com