RADIATION PROTECTION, ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AND CIVIL PROTECTION LABORATORY
Society acceptance of the risks associated with radiations is naturally conditioned by the net benefits that can be achieved by using nuclear technologies or radioactive material. As nuclear technologies have penetrated vital fields for the development of the human civilization such as energy or health, knowing a continuous development, the issue of protecting people and the environment has become increasingly important.
The successful exploitation of a nuclear installation depends on many factors. An important factor is to establish and maintain a set of efficient radiation protection measures. In this respect, ICN has 2 main objectives:
- Ensuring radiation protection and environment protection for its own nuclear facilities and
- Supporting a research&development programme for increasing the efficiency of human and environment protection against radiation risks.
For reaching these 2 objectives, within ICN there is the Radiation Protection, Environment Protection And Civil Protection Laboratory.
- fixed and mobile equipment for monitoring the radiation fields and the air contamination
- mobile laboratory and equipment for effluent and environment sampling
- sample preparation laboratory, radiochemistry and radiotoxicology
- gamma spectrometry (including in situ), alpha and beta LSC