- Ensuring the technical support for testing at irradiation the nuclear fuel intended for nuclear power plants CANDU-type;
- Testing and qualifying the structural materials intended for the CANDU nuclear power plant;
- Radioisotopes production for applications in the health, environment and industry field;
- Development of investigation methods and techniques using the radiations produced in the reactor.
Activities and services:
- Irradiation activities in the reactor of the nuclear fuel and structural materials;
- Development, homologation and authorization of new irradiation devices for irradiation testing of nuclear material and structural material for nuclear power plants;
- Reactor core management;
- Carrying out transient tests in the ACPR reactor for supporting the homologation documentations for Generation IV fuels;
- Using the reactor for the radioisotopes production;
- Analysis services for neutron activation;
- Prompt gamma spectrometry;
- Neutron dosimetry;
- Determination of irradiated fuel burn-up;
- Neutron radiography of irradiated and non-irradiated materials;
- Structural analyses through neutron diffraction;
- TIG computer welding and microplasma on stainless steels, special alloys, reactive and refractory materials.
The Reactor Department has nationwide unique facilities that allow testing and irradiation testing of nuclear fuel and structural materials in nuclear power plants.
TRIGA SSR - 14 MW REACTOR
- Irradiation devices:
- A-100kV loop, Temp. Max. 310oC; Pmax: 120 bars;
- C1-C2 capsule, Temp. Max. 300oC; Pmax: 120 bars ;
- C5 capsule, Temp. Max. 290oC; Pmax: 6 bars;
- C9 capsule, Temp. Max. 300oC; Pmax: 120 bars;
- Curved crystal neutron diffractometer;
- SANS diffractometer;
- Prompt gamma spectrometry facility;
- Chemistry laboratory;
- Thermal column - standard neutron spectrum system in the intermediate Sigma-Sigma energy range located in the Thermal Column with irradiation cavity from the TRIGA SSR research reactor pool. Thermal neutron flux density ranges between 2x106 -5x1010 n/cm2s-1
- High resolution gamma spectrometry chain;
- TIG computer welding facility;
- Vacuum brazing facility.
TRIGA ACPR - REACTOR - Annular pulsed reactor
The ACPR - Reactor can work up to 20.000 MW pulse; it has a single central irradiation cannel for fuel and structural materials irradiations under pulsed modes.
- C6 capsule (Temp. Max. 290oC; Pmax: 6 bars) is an irradiation device intended for the irradiation testing of experimental fuel elements ;
- Neutronography facility;
- PGA (prompt gamma analysis);
- Pneumatic rabit for neutron activation analysis.
Following the modernization process completed in 2011, it was extended the lifetime of TRIGA up to 2030.
- Nuclear fuel tests and structural materials:
- Design, execution and instrumentation for the sample holder for measuring the central temperature of the fuel elements;
- Measurement test of the central temperature of the fuel element;
- Nuclear fuel behavior in network load tracking mode;
- 403M steel irradiation used in the terminal fittings of the fuel channels;
- Irradiating samples for nuclear fuel claddings;
- Zr - 2,5 % Nb alloy irradiation - the samples were from the pressure tube heads from Unit 1 Cernavoda;
- Determining the threshold energy for nuclear fuel failure;
- Gamma spectrometry fuel burn-up measurement;
- 192Ir sources production for industrial gammagraphy;
- Irradiation target production for radioisotopes (different sizes of metallic pellets or sinterized) using homologated production lines.
- Other applications for the nuclear field:
- Neutrons activation analysis development using K0 method;
- Neutron multi-elementary activation analysis;
- Determination of the isotopic abundance of boron and gadolinium through prompt gamma spectrometry;
- Development of a new concept configuration of crystal neutron diffractometer with high resolution;
- Neutron characterization of the irradiation installation for testing in the TRIGA-SSR and ACPR reactors.
Contact person: Dr. Dumitru BARBOS; e-mail: email@example.com